Judged Quilt Show Information – 2019
All entries must be received between March 1 and April 15 to be entered in judging. Please follow our blog for more information on March 1.
Entries will be capped at 100.
- Quilts may be submitted by anyone, regardless of Guild or non-Guild affiliation.
- Entry fee for each quilt is $25.
- Entrants must enter their cloth quilt by submitting an electronic entry form and fee. Directions will be provided to submit a photo of your quilt to complete your application.
- The entries will be displayed in the Festival Hall for the duration of the event. However, Festival Board reserves the right to reject judging and hanging any entry deemed objectionable or too controversial. You will be notified when your entry is received.
- Categories with fewer than five (5) entries may be canceled.
- All entries must remain on display for the duration of the show.
- Award and prize information will be announced in January 2019.
- Award decisions are final.
- Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival Board reserves the right to refuse any entry deemed inappropriate, as per #4 or which fails to meet entry requirements.
- Guidelines for retrieving your quilt at the end of the show will be provided via the email update you will receive by April 30, 2019
- Large Quilts: Large quilts are defined as having no side less than 60” and no side that is greater than 96” (even if hung horizontally)
- Hand Quilted: Any technique, bed-sized quilt. Piecing or applique as a primary design element. Traditional or Modern
- Machine Quilted, Pieced: Bed-sized quilt. Traditional or Modern design.
- Applique or Applique with piecing /Machine Quilted: Applique is the primary design element. Bed-sized quilt. Traditional or Modern design.
- Wall Quilts: Small or Wall quilts are defined as having no side less than 24” and no side greater than 60”
- Wall: Hand or Machine quilted: Small quilts using traditional or modern quilting techniques. Designed to hang on the wall. May be pieced or Pieced/Appliqued
- Any Size: May be large or small but no side less than 24” and no side greater than 96”
- Art/Pictorial – Hand or Machine quilted: A wall quilt using fabric as the primary medium. Portrait, landscape or art piece designed to hang on the wall. Creative use of embellishments and techniques are encouraged. Embellishments must be securely attached. Entry must be able to be hung conventionally.
- Machine embroidery – Hand or Machine quilted: A quilt using machine embroidery as the main design element.
- Entrant must have significantly participated in the making of the quilt top and/or the quilting.
- All quilts must be quilted by hand or machine. Quilting is defined as a running stitch that passes through the top, batting and backing. Tied or tacked quilts are not eligible.
- Machine quilted quilts must have been completed in the years 2017, 2018 or 2019.
- Hand quilted quilts must have been completed in the years 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019.
- All quilts must have a sewn-on label securely attached to the back of the quilt. Pinned labels are not accepted. Back, lower-left corner placement is preferred.
- All quilts must have a 4 inch open ended sleeve for hanging. Sleeve must be securely sewn to the top of the back of the quilt. Pinned sleeves or sleeves less than 4 inches will not be accepted.
- All quilts must fit the size requirements noted in the category descriptions. The judge will have the option of not judging quilts that are placed in the wrong category.
- Quilts must be in excellent condition. Incomplete, torn, soiled or quilts with strong odors or animal hair will not qualify for entry or display.
- Entry must be in a single, stand-alone project. It may not be framed, mounted or covered.
- Quilts embellished with sharp objects that may be hazardous to volunteers or visitors will not be accepted.
- Quilts must be able to be folded, rolled or stacked. Special handling due to ruching, beading or other embellishments is not available.