All entries must be received by April 15 to be entered for judging. Entries will be capped at 100.
- Quilts may be submitted by anyone, regardless of Guild or non-Guild affiliation.
- Entry fee for each quilt is $25.
- The entries will be displayed in the Festival Hall for the duration of the event. However, Festival Board reserves the right to reject judging and hanging any entry deemed objectionable or too controversial.
- Categories with fewer than five (5) entries may be canceled.
- All entries must remain on display for the duration of the show.
- Guidelines for submitting and retrieving your quilt at the end of the show will be provided via email.
- Questions? Email email@example.com
- Entrant must have significantly participated in the making of the quilt top and/or the quilting.
- All quilts must be quilted by hand or machine. Quilting is defined as a running stitch that passes through the top, batting and backing. Tied or tacked quilts are not eligible.
- Quilts must have been completed between the years 2015 and 2019 and cannot have been shown in a previous Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival.
- All quilts must have a sewn-on label securely attached to the back of the quilt. Pinned labels are not accepted. Back, lower-left corner placement is preferred.
- All quilts must have a 4 inch open ended sleeve for hanging (4″ inside the opening). Sleeve must be securely sewn to the top of the back of the quilt. Pinned sleeves or sleeves less than 4 inches will not be accepted. For more information: http://www.quiltweek.com/hanging-sleeve-instructions
- All quilts must fit the size requirements noted in the category descriptions below. Quilts placed in the wrong category may not be judged.
- Quilts must be in excellent condition. Incomplete, torn, soiled or quilts with strong odors or animal hair will not qualify for entry or display.
- Entry must be in a single, stand-alone project. It may not be framed, mounted or covered.
- Quilts embellished with sharp objects that may be hazardous to volunteers or visitors will not be accepted.
- Quilts must be able to be folded, rolled or stacked. Special handling due to ruching, beading or other embellishments is not available.
- Best of Show Award – Bernina 770QE valued at $6,000
- Sponsor Award – BabyLock Soprano valued at $2,799
- Judge’s Choice Award – GO! Big + 9″ QTube valued at $820
- Ribbons will be given to the top three quilts in each category.
- Award decisions are final.
2019 Judged Quilt Categories
Large Quilts: Large quilts are defined as having no side less than 60” and no side that is greater than 96” (even if hung horizontally)
J1000 – Hand Quilted: Any technique, bed-sized quilt. Piecing or applique as a primary design element. Traditional or Modern
J2000 – Machine Quilted, Pieced: Bed-sized quilt. Traditional or Modern design.
J3000 –Applique or Applique with piecing /Machine Quilted: Applique is the primary design element. Bed-sized quilt. Traditional or Modern design.
Wall Quilts: Small or Wall quilts are defined as having no side less than 24” and no side greater than 60”
J4000 – Wall: Hand or Machine quilted: Small quilts using traditional or modern quilting techniques. Designed to hang on the wall. May be pieced or Pieced/Appliqued
May be large or small but no side less than 24” and no side greater than 96”
J5000 – Art/Pictorial – Hand or Machine quilted: A wall quilt using fabric as the primary medium. Portrait, landscape or art piece designed to hang on the wall. Creative use of embellishments and techniques are encouraged. Embellishments must be securely attached. Entry must be able to be hung conventionally.
J6000 – Machine embroidery – Hand or Machine quilted: A quilt using machine embroidery as the main design element.