It’s All in the Sashing (class added January 28th)
The objective of this workshop is to help students learn how to decide on a sashing treatment when setting blocks together. Instruction in calculating yardage and figuring out cutting is included. It is important to know that all students will not be making the same quilt in this class. Students will arrive with their blocks already completed. During the class, everyone will have a chance to “try on sashings” using Barb’s original grey scale sashing flannel design walls. Each student will choose a sashing design and go home with all calculations completed so they are ready to start cutting and sewing at home.
6 Hour Class – HAND WORK CLASS
June 19, 2021 – 9:00am
Student Capacity: 20
Handout fee – payable to instructor: $5
A word about the completed blocks:
- Any size, greater than 8”, is fine as long as they are all uniform in size and squares. (For example, please do not bring some 8” blocks and some 12” blocks, bring all the same size for this project.)
- Blocks can be all the same pattern or they can be a collection of sampler blocks. They can be pieced or appliqued or embroidered. You can even use pre-printed blocks as long as they are squares.
Number of blocks to bring:
- 4 or 6 will work with sashings on the outside of the blocks.
- 9 is really good and will give you flexibility to include outside sashings or not. More than 9 is fine but you should only plan on getting a couple rows completed in class.
- Bring two or three fabrics that coordinate nicely with each other and with your blocks. I am sorry but I have to be sort of vague about the amount since everyone will not be making the same quilt. Bring between 3/4 yard and 1 1/2 yards of each fabric – the smaller amount if you have fewer blocks, the larger amount if you have many blocks.
- If you have fabric that is the same or similar to the background fabric in your blocks, bring it too, although you may not use it.
- Note taking supplies to include a PENCIL and an eraser
- Small calculator