Small Modern Improv Quilting
Interested in improvisation? The freedom of improv is exhilarating, but can also be a bit intimidating. Come give improv a try in a supportive environment where you can start small and create free pieced projects and build both confidence and skill. As you gain experience you will develop your own sense of style and design as well as expertise working with color, print, and spatial relationships. In this class students will learn the free piecing improvisational technique as well as strategies to create effective compositions. Students will learn and utilize the building blocks piecing strategy learn skinny line piecing, angle piecing and piecing improvisational curves. Students will create several small improv studies that can be framed or used as seeds for larger compositions and quilts.
3 Hour Class
June 18, 2021 – 8:30am
Student Capacity: 20
- Bernina 770 sewing machines will be provided for students.
- Basic sewing/ rotary cutting/ pressing/quilting supplies
- Cutting mat and acrylic ruler
- Matching thread
- Fabric safe marking tool
- 1 picture frame mat with opening 5″ x 7″
- 1 picture frame mat with opening 8″ x 10″
(Inexpensive mats should be easily found at your local craft or art store.) Note that the size is for the opening, not the size of the mat)
- A selection of fat eighths, FQ’s or large scraps of medium or large-scale prints. I like to have one featured print for each composition so have at least three to work with.
- A selection of FQ’s of solids or tone on tones that coordinate with the colors and backgrounds in the chosen prints. These solids may become background fabrics or fabrics used to extend the colors within the prints in your compositions. For example, if you have a red and black print you may want to have both a red and a black solid to coordinate with that print.
- Scraps of other solid colors to use as accents or pops of color.
- For skinny line piecing practice cut the following:
- Cut (2) 10″ x 3″ strips of a solid color
- Cut (1) 10” x 1″ strip of a contrasting color
- For Improv curves practice cut the following:
- (1) 5″ x 18″ strip
- (1) 5″ x 18″ strip in a contrasting solid or print
If you have any questions about preparation, materials or equipment for the class, don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.